[mpich2-dev] More ROMIO performance questions

Bob Cernohous bobc at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 14 16:57:47 CDT 2009

We have another i/o scenario with interesting performance issues.

One again, it's large non-interleaved contiguous blocks being written/read
(checkpointing software).  We ran into the same problems with data sieving
and romio_cb_write/read = enable as we discussed a couple weeks ago.

We tried to tune it with hints for cb_block_size and get ok performance
when we can avoid read/write data sieving.

Trying romio_cb_write/read = automatic gets very poor
performance.Similarly, pure non-collective writes get very poor
performance.  It seems like having too many writers/readers performs
poorly on their configuration ... so

They customized the testcase to coordinate/flow-control the non-collective
i/o and they get great performance.   They only have N simultaneous
writers/readers active.  They pass a token around and take turns.  It's
almost like having N aggregators but without the collective i/o overhead
to pass the data around.  Instead they pass a small token and take turns
writing the large, non-interleaved contiguous data blocks.

I'm not aware of anything in MPIIO or ROMIO that would do tihs?   Has this
been explored by the experts (meaning you guys)?

Bob Cernohous:  (T/L 553) 507-253-6093

BobC at us.ibm.com
IBM Rochester, Building 030-2(C335), Department 61L
3605 Hwy 52 North, Rochester,  MN 55901-7829