[mpich2-dev] creating global mpd ring consisting of machines on different network

Anjin Pradhan Anjin.Pradhan at ait.ac.th
Sun Apr 19 04:49:47 CDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

Can I create a global mpd ring with the following configuration

     1. A head node on one Network

     2. Two worker node on another Network

     3. All the machines use NAT

I also know if I can do this if create a VPN between the machines. But I
don't want to use VPN, due to its overhead.

So I wanted to know whether I can do this using port forwarding on the
range of port used by MPICH, which is specified by MPICH_PORT_RANGE. And
even if I do this will the firewall stop the packets.

For firewall restriction what if I use http tunnel to tunnel all these
packets, will it work.

Also if it may require some changes in the source code can someone let
me know how I should go about doing this.

I am trying to do this as a part of my Master's thesis and would greatly
appreciate any help in this regard.

Anjin