[mpich2-dev] nesting level warning with MPI_File_preallocate(fh, 0)

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 11:27:53 CST 2008

Consider the following Python snipet (sorry, really busy to write
C/C++, I used mpi4py)

from mpi4py import MPI

amode = MPI.MODE_RDWR | MPI.MODE_CREATE | MPI.MODE_DELETE_ON_CLOSE

fh = MPI.File.Open(MPI.COMM_WORLD,
                   '/tmp/datafile', amode,
                   MPI.INFO_NULL)

N = 0
fh.Preallocate(N)
size = fh.Get_size()
assert size == N

fh.Close()
print 'Bye!!!'

Then, when I run the code (1.0.8 and --enable-g=all), I get the following output

Bye!!!
Unexpected value for nesting level = 1
Nest stack is:
	[0] :0

So the warning is likely emitted at MPI_Finalize().

If I try to preallocate sizes larger than 0, then the warning does not appear.

--
Lisandro Dalcín