[mpich2-dev] tests which assume that the implementation supports truncated messages

David Gingold david.gingold at sicortex.com
Tue Apr 1 15:44:23 CDT 2008

MPICH2 folks --

Some of the tests that come with MPICH2 assume that the MPI
implementation supports truncated messages (i.e. point-to-point
operations with more data sent than received).  It looks like the
tests are using this as a way to determine whether errors can be
returned in the receive status.

Our MPI implementation doesn't support truncation.  It's not required
by the standard, and dispensing with it simplified our code and
improved performance.

Would it make sense to change these tests to be more portable?  Could
they be made to trigger a different sort of error, perhaps one
checked in the HAVE_ERROR_CHECKING portions of the top-level receive
code?

-dg

--
David Gingold