[MPICH2-dev] maximum number of processes per node

Eric Grobelny grobelny at hcs.ufl.edu
Thu Jan 11 16:09:14 CST 2007

Hello,

I am running some experiments to see the effects of time sharing when
running many processes on a single node.  I have been able to run up to 256
processes, but when I try to increase this value to 512, I get the following
error:

mpiexec_compute-0-10.local (mpiexec 375): no msg recvd from mpd when
expecting ack of request

I am guessing that the problem is caused due to a limit set on the number of
processes that can run on a single node.  Is this the case?  Can I solve
this problem by redefining some #define in the source code?  Or is this from
a limitation placed by the OS?

By the way, the single node I am running my experiments on is running CentOS
with kernel version 2.6.9-22.ELsmp.

Thanks,

Eric Grobelny

Eric Grobelny
ECE Ph.D. Candidate, Research Assistant
Advanced Space Computing (ASC) group member
Modeling and Simulation (Performance Prediction) focus
High-performance Computing and Simulation (HCS) Research Laboratory

Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Florida
PO Box 116200, 330 Benton Hall, Gainesville, FL 32611-6200
Lab: (352)392-9034/9046      FAX: (352)392-8671

2:52 PM