[MPICH2-dev] Linking issues on Windows

Shankar, Shashank (US - New York) shashankar at deloitte.com
Mon Apr 24 18:23:35 CDT 2006

Hello,

I am trying to develop a distributed application utilizing MPI as the
communication mechanism, and have run into linking issues. The
application that I am working on is for the Windows platform, and I am
using the C++ VS.NET 2003 IDE. The application is a console based
application and it compiles successfully, but I get the following
messages on the link phase:

Compiling...
LCSlave.cpp
Linking...
LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'LIBCMT' conflicts with use of other
libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
LCSlave.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _MPI_Comm_rank at 8
referenced in function "void __stdcall fn_mpi_init(int,char * * const)"
(?fn_mpi_init@@YGXHQAPAD at Z)
LCSlave.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _MPI_Init at 8
referenced in function "void __stdcall fn_mpi_init(int,char * * const)"
(?fn_mpi_init@@YGXHQAPAD at Z)
LCSlave.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _MPI_Recv at 28
referenced in function "void __stdcall
fn_mpi_send_recieve_proj_term_y(void)"
(?fn_mpi_send_recieve_proj_term_y@@YGXXZ)
LCSlave.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _MPI_Send at 24
referenced in function "void __stdcall
fn_mpi_send_recieve_proj_term_y(void)"
(?fn_mpi_send_recieve_proj_term_y@@YGXXZ)
LCSlave.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_MPI_Type_commit at 4 referenced in function "void __stdcall
fn_mpi_define_custom(void)" (?fn_mpi_define_custom@@YGXXZ)
LCSlave.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_MPI_Type_struct at 20 referenced in function "void __stdcall
fn_mpi_define_custom(void)" (?fn_mpi_define_custom@@YGXXZ)
LCSlave.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _MPI_Address at 8
referenced in function "void __stdcall fn_mpi_define_custom(void)"
(?fn_mpi_define_custom@@YGXXZ)
Debug/LCSlave.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 7 unresolved externals

Build log was saved at
"file://d:\stage\Prophet\Test\code\LCSlave\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
LCSlave - 8 error(s), 1 warning(s)

Any help, suggestions in this regards will be very appreciated.

Thanks!
Regards,
Shashank Shankar
Consultant/Enterprise Business Integration/Technology Integration,
Deloitte Consulting LLP
Tel: +1 212 618 4702
Mobile: + 1 281 636 8712

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.

Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. [v.E.1]