[MPICH2-dev] mpich2 security issues

michael bane michael.bane at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jul 1 06:31:38 CDT 2005

Rusty & co

I've been caught out by the 'umask' issue yet again - as in world
writeable files are created (see example test program attached). This
example shows that even if my umask=0022 even when started mpdboot then
world writeable files still exist:

[mbane at ironlung test-open]$ mpdallexit
[mbane at ironlung test-open]$ umask
0022
[mbane at ironlung test-open]$ mpdboot
[mbane at ironlung test-open]$ mpicc my-mpi-open.c
[mbane at ironlung test-open]$ rm test
[mbane at ironlung test-open]$ mpiexec -n 1 ./a.out
linitialized PE 0 out of 1
got umask...... and reset
PE 0 had umask '0'
PE 0 has opened test
[mbane at ironlung test-open]$ ls -l test
-rw-rw-rw-    1 mbane    users           0 Jul  1 12:24 test
[mbane at ironlung test-open]$

Is there any work around since I cannot have mpich2 on my cluster
otherwise for security reasons.

Michael Bane
Atmospheric Physics Group
University of Manchester