[MPICH2-dev] MPID_PG_ForwardPGInfo

Charles J Archer archerc at us.ibm.com
Wed Dec 21 18:59:03 CST 2005

Hello

I've recently imported a new release of mpich (1.0.3), and I noticed that
the ch3 device defines a new function:
int MPID_PG_ForwardPGInfo( MPID_Comm *peer_ptr, MPID_Comm *comm_ptr,
                           int nPGids, int gpids[],
                           int root )

This function is used by the intercomm_create function.
This seems to fill out new records in the VC record fields.

On BG/L, we keep our VC records intentionally very small so that we scale
to thousands of nodes.
I would like to avoid adding the extra structures required to implement
this function on BG/L.

Essentially, what this amounts to is that changes to the CH3 device are
forcing changes to the MPI functions, breaking the ADI abstraction.
Consequently, all other devices have to implement any new function that
has been added to CH3.

To work around this, I simply defined the function with an empty
implementation.  I'm not sure if this is sufficient (it appears to pass
the icXXX) tests on BG/L.
Please advise on how I should handle this in the BG/L device.

Thanks!

-C

Charles J Archer
eServer Consolidation Development
BlueGene/L MPI
eServer Development
Dept G9D, Bldg 030-2,  IBM Rochester MN 55901
archerc at us.ibm.com   (507) 253-0346     TL 8-553-0346   Fax (507) 253-2870