[mpich-discuss] Newbie getting started question?

John Chludzinski john.chludzinski at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 16:13:51 CDT 2012

I have a small example program I've built and tested before using MPICH2
that come with the PETSc installation.

I just installed MPICH2 on a new machine (without PETSc) using: yum install
mpich2.

I added /usr/lib/mpich2/bin/ to my PATH env. variable and tried:  mpif90
ex1.f95 -L/usr/lib/mpich2/lib/.  This resulted in:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmpichf90
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmpichf90
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmpich

I checked and the PETSc installation has *.a files in the lib directory,
whereas my new installation of MPICH2 has *.so files.  What do I need to do
to get this to compile?

---John