[mpich-discuss] Problem running mpi program

gilbert gilbert at bluemarble.net
Wed Oct 24 10:59:05 CDT 2012

I am running Lammps, compiled with mpich2-1.4.1p1 on two intel based i7
computers, both running OpenSuse 12.2, both using gcc 4.7. I have
compiled mpich2-1.4.1p1 on both machines. When I run the lammps
benchmark test on the i7-3760 computer with the following command:
mpiexec -np 3 ./lmp_mpi < in.lj the output tells me I am running on
three processors. If I run the same command on an i7-2600 Lammps says it
is only running on one processor. I can copy the lammps executable from
one machine to the other and the i7-3760 always runs on three (or how
ever many processors I specify) and the i7-2600 always runs on one.

I have tried uninstalling mpich2 and redone the complete installation.
The firewall is turned off on both machines.
Both machines have the same installation of opensuse.
There are no error messages from compilation or running.

So what am I missing? Is there a system service that needs to be
running? I have another i7-2600 computer running Windows 7 and it runs
the mpi code with no problems.

Kevin