[mpich-discuss] mpich in Firmware

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Oct 23 06:57:22 CDT 2012

Am 22.10.2012 um 20:05 schrieb Marcelo Soares Souza:

>  I believe that one of main objective of mpich is to be portable,
> multiplataform and decoupled from a specific plataform.
>
> 2012/10/22 Bob Ilgner <bobilgner at gmail.com>:
>> In order to make the mpi process more efficient, has anyone considered
>> implementing mpich2 as part of an operating system, or maybe even as
>> firmware ? Has anything been attempted in this direction ?

There is a special version of MPICH2 integrated into the Cray OS AFAIK, and hence you don't start it with `mpiexec` but `aprun`, which is placing the processes on the nodes.

NB: MPI is a specification of an API (application programming interface), and everyone who likes to can implement a library according to the specs - right. As there is no ABI (application binary interface), you are then limited to the implemented version in the OS and need to recompile to use a different one.

-- Reuti