[mpich-discuss] Strange error

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 9 13:55:49 CDT 2012

IIRC, the MPI_ERROR field of the status structure is not used when performing an MPI_Recv.  It is only used when performing multiple completions in the same call, such as with MPI_Waitall/Testsome/etc.

Did you change the error handler for MPI_COMM_WORLD?  If not, then it defaults to MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL, which will cause the MPI job to abort if an error is encountered.  If you change it to MPI_ERRORS_RETURN then you need to capture the return value from MPI_Recv.  For example:

int mpi_errno;
…
mpi_errno = MPI_Recv(greeting,…);
if (mpi_errno != MPI_SUCCESS) {