[mpich-discuss] MPI_Pack max buffer size

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Wed Oct 3 08:56:00 CDT 2012

No, your count has to be representable as a C int per
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/www/www3/MPI_Pack.html
and the MPI standard.

The issue with 32-bit integers and counts >2^31 is well known to the
MPI Forum but there is not a consensus on how to resolve it in all
cases.

The good news is that splitting your >2 GiB messages will have no
measurable overhead.

Unlike other MPI functions, MPI_PACK/UNPACK doesn't have a datatype
workaround.  I will bring it up with the MPI Forum to see if there's
not something to be done abou this, or at least make sure that people
know that it is an issue for >0 users.

Jeff