[mpich-discuss] MPI-IO error codes

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Fri May 11 07:30:56 CDT 2012

You are confusing error codes with error classes.  MPI routines return an error code; the MPI_ERR_xxx values are errors classes and can be obtained from an error code with the routine MPI_Error_class .  In MPICH2, the error code encodes additional data about the failure; the value from MPI_Error_string provides a more detained error text.

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign