[mpich-discuss] Detecting process exit

Steve Krueger Steve.Krueger at sas.com
Fri Mar 30 15:00:32 CDT 2012

I'm using using mpich2 1.4.1 on a Linux x86-64 machine.

mpirun -n 2 mpitest

where mpitest is a simple stand alone exe that does MPI_Init(), sleep(100), MPI_Finialize(),

I kill -9 the mpitest process on one of the machines, the whole MPI world
comes down as expected.

However, if I do:

mpirun -n 2 mpitest.sh

where mitest.sh is a shell script that just runs the mpitest exe, and then kill the
exe on one machine, the other machine does not detect this, and the other rank
stays up.

Is the notion of running a .sh from mpirun legal/supported? If so, is there an option
that I should specify to hydra so that it will detect the death of the mpi process
launched under a script?

sk