[mpich-discuss] Issue: mpiexec errors on Win 7 64-bit

Rohan Mittal rohan.mittal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 00:32:54 CST 2012

Hello,

I figured this out! The issue is that on Win 7 Pro 64-bit, there is no
option to run "
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/downloads/tarballs/1.4.1p1/mpich2-1.4.1p1-win-x86-64.msi"
as an administrator by right-clicking the .msi file.

Hence, one has to first run the Start -> All Programs -> Accessories ->
Command Prompt as an administrator by right-clicking and selecting "Run as
administrator". Following that, change the path on the command prompt to
the location where the .msi (above) was downloaded. Then, execute "msiexec
/i mpich2-1.4.1p1-win-x86-64.msi" on the command prompt and follow through
the installation.

Once done, you can execute "smpd -status" and check if it is running. After
a system reboot, it should automatically start. The output should read
something like "smpd running on machinename". This is actually how I
figured this out. smpd was not running on my machine and when I tried to
execute "smpd -start" it returned an "access denied error". That's when I
re-installed MPICH2 using the procedure above and it fixed the problem.

Regards,
Rohan

--
Sent from Cyclotron Rd., Berkeley, California, United States of America