[mpich-discuss] MPIC2 Configuration Error

Anthony Chan chan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 5 11:43:24 CST 2012

>From your c.txt:

configure: error: ****  Incompatible Fortran and C Object File Types!  ****
F77 Object File Type produced by "ifort  " is : : ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), not stripped.
 C  Object File Type produced by "gcc    -O2" is : : ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped.

The error says that your Intel Fortran compiler ifort and GNU C compiler gcc generate incompatible binary format, one is 32-bit and the other is 64bits.  There are multiple ways to resolve this issue, it depends on what you
have and what you need.

1) If you don't need Fortran binding support, you could disable it
   by adding configure options: "--disable-f77 --disable-fc".
2) If you do need Fortran support, you have the complete intel compiler suite,
   you could configure mpich2 with "CC=icc CXX=icpc F77=ifort FC=ifort" as part of configure command.
3) If you prefer to use GNU compiler suite, you could do "CC=gcc CXX=g++ F77=gfortran FC=gfortran".
4) If you are OK with mixing GNU C/C++ with Intel Fortran compilers, then you could simply use
   configure options "FFLAGS=-m64 FCFLAGS=-m64"
5) Since you have a 64bit machine, ifort should generate 64bit binary by default. May be you could
   reconfigure ifort to generate 64bit object without -m64 (not sure if this is possible in your setup).

A.Chan