[mpich-discuss] terminating a thread which executes a blocking call

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 21 15:31:50 CDT 2012

Hi,
 Can you send us a sample program?

Regards,
Jayesh

----- Original Message -----
From: "toufik hadjazi" <h_toufik7 at hotmail.fr>
To: mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:33:37 AM
Subject: [mpich-discuss] terminating a thread which executes a blocking call

Hi all,

I am using mpich2 on windows 7, working on a client server model, and at some point in my program, i created 2 threads , one calls MPI_Comm_accept and the other calls MPI_Recv, what i need is, the moment one of them passes the blocking call, it terminates the other one. but when i tryied this, i noticed that the function terminateThread doesn't work appearantly (neither MPI_Recv nor MPI_Comm_accept was canceled!). and when i took a look at mpi-report i found that threads on blocking calls can't interact with signals (the way i understood it might be incorrect).
Is it impossible to kill a thread on a blocking call? if so, is there others ways to do the work i need?

PS : i'm using win32 threads and i've initialized my application with MPI_THREADS_MULTIPLE.

Best regards,
Toufik.