[mpich-discuss] mpiexec / Windows networking

Michael Colonno mcolonno at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 18 18:05:40 CDT 2012

            Trying to run the cxxpi.exe example program and I'm hitting a roadblock (seems others have shared this as well) on a Windows 7 x64 system. I have followed the instructions summarized in: http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/mpich-discuss/2011-April/009694.html. Checking services, the "MPICH2 Process Manager" is started (I restarted it to confirm). However, checking the status of SMPD:

>smpd -status

no smpd running on mike-studio17

            Trying to run a test produces the error in the thread above:

>mpiexec -n 2 hostname

Error while connecting to host, No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (10061)

Connect on sock (host=mike-studio17, port=8678) failed, exhausted all end points

Unable to connect to 'mike-studio17:8678',

sock error: Error = -1

            In the menu of wmpiconfig.exe under "error" it says "mike-studio17: MPICH2 not installed or unable to query the host". I didn’t install to the default path, but other than that there is nothing extraordinary (bin directory added to path of course). If I scan hosts for versions, the wmpiconfig tool does detect the correct version on this host. Using “scan hosts”, I get “Error: No servers available for this domain”. It seems like the service simultaneously is and is not running. Anything I can do to debug?

            Thanks,

            ~Mike C.