[mpich-discuss] MPI_Comm_spawn without mpiexec

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Sun Jun 17 10:44:43 CDT 2012

See MPI 2.2 (http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-2.2/mpi22-report.pdf)
Section 8.8 regarding mpiexec.  There is no guarantee that this
functionality is available, nor is the syntax standardized.

As kind as it is to make it for users to have no clue about what they
are doing to use your application, this is ill-advised, as it will
create mountains of work for you and address the intellectual
shortcomings of but a few truly naive users.

To be clear, the breadth of mpiexec-like commands out there and the
diversity of their arguments make it a truly enormous task to support
even a reasonable set of them.  I've see at least one code try to do
it and they've ended up with one of the most confusing and impossible
to use pieces of garbage in my field.

Just add to documentation that the user has to figure out how to
invoke an MPI program correctly.  This takes about 5 minutes at most.
If a user can't figure it out, they have absolutely no business doing
molecular biophysics simulations with your package.

Best,

Jeff