[mpich-discuss] Fortran integer support 4/8-bytes

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Fri Jun 8 07:27:29 CDT 2012

Yeah, but this (64-bit API with internal truncation in MPI) is fine
for most codes.  Basically, Fortran programmers are lazy and don't
specific integer sizes explicitly.  If the app requires more than
32-bits anywhere, then the whole app has to be modified to use 64-bit
integers, including MPI.  This was a huge pain for me on Blue Gene/P
with NWChem and it was too painful to fix it, so I just could not run
some modules with more than 2 GB of data.

Of course, the right way to write Fortran would be to use INTEGER*4
for all MPI arguments instead of assuming INTEGER is 4-bytes, or in
F90+, something like INTEGER(KIND=FOR_MPI_BINDINGS) and
INTEGER(KIND=FOR_INDEXING_BIG_ARRAYS), <trolling> but if one is that
intelligent, one is probably not using Fortran at all </trolling> :-)

Jeff