[mpich-discuss] moab linking error

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 5 16:27:00 CDT 2012

On Jun 5, 2012, at 3:39 PM CDT, Iulian Grindeanu wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 23:18:35 -0500
> From: Dave Goodell <goodell at mcs.anl.gov>
> To: mpich <mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov>
> Subject: Re: [mpich-discuss] linking error in moab
>
>> This Debian bug seems related: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=653616
> Yes, and I do have other issues with shared library (chained, or inter-library?) dependencies, on my laptop.  I need to understand better these gold-linker issues.

I'll take this as implicit confirmation that Ubuntu 12.04 is using the gold linker by default.

>> Does reconfiguring mpich2 with "--enable-lib-depend" fix the problem?  I think this option was removed in 1.5a1 and later, but should still be present in 1.4.1p1.
>>
> YES!!!!!!!! thank you very much .

Glad to hear it.  Hopefully this email thread contains enough unintentional Google bait to help others with this problem in the future via the mailing list archives.

This option shouldn't be necessary in 1.5a1 and later, although I'll need to find a system with this linking problem at some point so that I can verify this.  The previously mentioned Debian bug report seems to indicate that a tarball from the 1.5 series was previously tested and found acceptable in this regard.

-Dave