[mpich-discuss] MPI_WIN_FENCE versus MPI_WIN_{LOCK|UNLOCK}

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jun 1 11:50:50 CDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Timothy Stitt <Timothy.Stitt.9 at nd.edu>wrote:

> I also have a third attempt that uses active target RMA using
> MPI_WIN_{START|COMPLETE} and MPI_WIN_{POST|WAIT}. Is there any benefit to
> using one approach over the other, in general?

I would consider it a bug if post,start,complete,wait is ever slower than
the other mechanisms. If you have the information, this gives the
implementation more precise information about what communication may take
place so it should be less synchronous. Does anyone know of circumstances
where this is not the case?