[mpich-discuss] Modifying ssh calls for MPICH2

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 17 18:17:18 CST 2012

On 01/17/2012 06:13 PM, Jed Brown wrote:
> 1. autoconf convention is that ./configure CFLAGS=... affects the flags
> that are used to build the library, but generally do not affect the
> semantics of the thing being built.

That would have been ideal, but it messes up the build when the user
passes a flag that changes the behavior of the compiler.  For example,
something like "-m32" to CFLAGS on a 64-bit compiler.  Now, if only the
MPICH2 library is compiled with "-m32" and it's not added to the
wrappers, mpicc will not be able to compile any user application.

We had to pick one of the two evils and we picked this one.

  -- Pavan