[mpich-discuss] Modifying ssh calls for MPICH2

Kekatpure, Rohan Deodatta (-EXP) rdkekat at sandia.gov
Tue Jan 17 14:46:28 CST 2012

Dear MPICH-discuss moderators,

I am new to MPICH and have installed it to be used in conjunction with PETSc. I successfully compiled and installed MPICH2 (version 1.4.1p1) and ran the one-process and multi-process examples. However, when I run (a successfully built) PETSc, MPICH makes ssh calls to my local machine. For example it will call:

ssh s918992.sandia.gov  (s918992 is the name of my machine)

At that point, I get the error,

"ssh: Could not resolve hostname s198992.sandia.gov: nodename nor servname provided, or not known"

I am guessing that this is Sandia Firewall issue. However, if I invoke ssh with

ssh s918992.local

then I am able to go through the usual ssh process.

My question is: is there a way to configure MPICH2 such that it will invoke ssh with "ssh s918992.local" instead of "ssh s918992.sandia.gov" ? If you feel there is a better way to handle this, please feel free to let me know the better way. I am a newbie to Unix as well as MPICH and PETSc. I hope you will be patient with me.

Thanks,
Rohan