[mpich-discuss] Computer Usage

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 17 13:17:16 CST 2012

Hi,
 If you have 12 cores and you launch 12 MPI processes (mpiexec -n 12 ...), the operating system schedules these processes to run on the available cores (Unless you explicitly bind processes to cores). The utilization of the cores depend on the parallelism (& OS process scheduling algorithm) of the modeling code.

(PS: MPICH2 can utilize the two multi-core processors, 12 cores, to run your code.)
Regards,
Jayesh