[mpich-discuss] Computer Usage

Casey Ladouceur cladouceur at tgcl.ca
Tue Jan 17 11:43:53 CST 2012

Hi,

We are currently looking into purchasing a new computer, but first I wanted to understand how MPICH uses processors and cores.

We are using the Lakes Environmental Windows interface for the AERMOD modelling software utilizing MPI. We are looking at investing in a new computer that will help speed up processing time but need to understand how MPICH uses processors and cores.

-          Can MPICH utilize more than one processor in parallel?

-          In the event that the processor contains multiple cores, can MPICH utilize more than one core simultaneously?

For example, if we purchased a computer with two separate multi-core processors, each containing six cores, would the software be able to utilize all 12 cores in parallel?

Casey Ladouceur, B.Eng. EIT
Jr. Air Quality Scientist
True Grit Consulting Ltd.
ENGINEERING - AIR - ENVIRONMENTAL