[mpich-discuss] hydra proxy questions

Steve Krueger Steve.Krueger at sas.com
Mon Feb 27 08:39:55 CST 2012

I am using MPICH2 1.3.2p1 with hydra launcher and sock device.

I've noticed that when I start a job via mpirun, the follow processes
are started on my behalf.

1) mpirun
2) ssh to all the machines
3) hydra_pmi_proxy on all the machine
4) my exe on all the machines

If I kill the mpirun process, 1,2 and 3 are all terminated, but my exe (4)
continues to function normally.

My questions:

1) Is this expected behavior?
2) Should killing the mpirun process kill all the ranks?
3) Is there any operation that the ranks could do that require the proxy process?

I'm asking, as  I've noticed strange hangs in my exe potentially related to creating new
MPI_Comm's, but only after I kill the mpirun process.

sk