[mpich-discuss] MPICH not executing more than 1 process on Windows 7

Nicholas Goodman Nicholas.Goodman at Colorado.EDU
Sun Feb 26 21:14:54 CST 2012

Hi,
  I have just installed MPICH2 on my Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) laptop.  I am using the current stable, 32-bit MPICH2 installation and Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.  I have run into a problem running any MPI program with more than 1 process.  If I run either my own hello-world code or the cpi.exe example with "-n 1", the program completes successfully.  If I run an MPI program with "-n 2", it hangs and does not do anything unless I kill the program.  I have included the output of my console below (the #### lines are my comments about what's going on).  Do you have any suggestions?

#### Using -n 1, the program returns correctly
C:\Program Files (x86)\MPICH2\examples>mpiexec -machinefile hosts -n 1 -user AYBABTU\nick cpi.exe
Please specify an authentication passphrase for smpd:
Please specify an authentication passphrase for smpd:
Enter the number of intervals: (0 quits) 1
pi is approximately 3.2000000000000002, Error is 0.0584073464102071
wall clock time = 0.000041
Enter the number of intervals: (0 quits) 0

#### If -n 2 used, nothing happens:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MPICH2\examples>mpiexec -machinefile hosts -n 2 -user AYBABTU\nick cpi.exe
Please specify an authentication passphrase for smpd:
Please specify an authentication passphrase for smpd: Please specify an authentication passphrase for smpd:

#### If I <CTRL>-<C> the program (after 30 seconds), the following happens
mpiexec aborting job...

job aborted:
rank: node: exit code[: error message]
0: 127.0.0.1: 123: mpiexec aborting job