[mpich-discuss] Fwd: Error MPICH

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Aug 30 16:36:47 CDT 2012

Hi Jairo

Ricardo is right, there are many possible causes.
You need to send more information, otherwise it is hard to guess what is
going on.
Here are a few questions.  Your answers may help.

1) Are you using MPICH in Linux or Windows?

2) What is your mpirun/mpiexec command line?

3) Do you use a 'machinefile'?  What is the content of your machinefile?

4) Does your 'programa' [I guess this is your executable] live in the
Network File System [NFS]?

5) Does your home directory live also in the NFS?

6) Is your MPICH also installed in your NFS?
Or do you have a separate copy of MPICH installed on each cluster node?

7) What happens if you login to each of your cluster nodes: can you see
'programa' there
in the expected directory [say, using the 'ls' command]?
If your cluster has only two nodes, Master, and Slave, testing this is
really quick.
If you send the output of 'ls programa' on each node, this may help.

8) What happens if you use the full path name to 'programa' in your
mpiexec command line?
Say, something like this:

mpiexec -f hostfile -np 2  /full/path/to/programa

where 'hostfile' has this content:

Master:1
Slave:1

I hope this helps,