[mpich-discuss] Problems using MPI_File functions

Pablo Guaza Peces pabloguaza at ugr.es
Wed Aug 22 06:48:29 CDT 2012

Hi everybody!
I'm having some problems using MPI_File functions. I made a very simple
program to test it after one of my users had some issues with a more
complicated program.

This is the program I'm using:

#include "mpi.h"
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
     MPI_File fh;

     MPI_Init(&argc,&argv);

     MPI_File_open(MPI_COMM_WORLD, "datafile",
           MPI_MODE_CREATE | MPI_MODE_RDWR,
                   MPI_INFO_NULL, &fh);

     MPI_File_close(&fh);

     MPI_Finalize();
     return 0;
}

It just creates a shared file if it doesn't exist, and the closes it.

If I run this program with a PBS script only using one of my nodes it
works well, but if I use two nodes, it creates the file but afterwards
it just keeps running, and I have to kill it.

I think this might has something to do with the NFS share that the
programs is using to create the file, but I don't really know. Could it
be a NFS locking issue?

Thanks!