[mpich-discuss] Bcast question?

Kokron, Daniel S. (GSFC-610.1)[Computer Sciences Corporation] daniel.s.kokron at nasa.gov
Sat Aug 11 20:40:55 CDT 2012

John,

I found the following instructive.  I ended up using the MPI_Write_all with file views (page 35 with a nice example starting on page 48).  With a file view, each process specifies it's own access information.

https://fs.hlrs.de/projects/par/events/2011/parallel_prog_2011/2011XE6-1/07-IO_Optimization.pdf

Daniel Kokron
NASA Ames (ARC-TN)
SciCon group
301-286-3959

From: mpich-discuss-bounces at mcs.anl.gov [mpich-discuss-bounces at mcs.anl.gov] On Behalf Of John Chludzinski [john.chludzinski at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2012 6:47 AM
To: William Gropp
Cc: mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
Subject: Re: [mpich-discuss] Bcast question?

I followed up on your suggestion to look into MPI-IO - GREAT suggestion.

I found an example at http://beige.ucs.indiana.edu/I590/node92.html and added code to gather the pieces of the file read in by each process:

MPI_Gather( read_buffer, number_of_bytes, MPI_BYTE, rbuf, number_of_bytes, MPI_BYTE, MASTER_RANK, MPI_COMM_WORLD);

All process execute this line.  The problem is that number_of_bytes maybe different for the last process if  total_number_of_bytes is not a multiple of pool_size (i.e., total_number_of_bytes % pool_size != 0).  And if the value isn't the same for all processes, you get:

Fatal error in PMPI_Gather: Message truncated

If I set pool_size (the number of processes) so that total_number_of_bytes is a multiple of it (i.e., total_number_of_bytes % pool_size == 0), the code executes without error.

I thought I read in Peter Pacheco's book that this need not necessarily be required?

---John