[mpich-discuss] Bcast question?

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 10 08:58:02 CDT 2012

The most likely newbe mistake is that you are timing the time time that the MPI_Bcast is waiting - for example, if your code looks like this:

if (rank == 0) { tr = MPI_Wtime(); read data tr = MPI_Wtime()-tr; }
tb = MPI_Wtime(): MPI_Bcast(…); tb = MPI_Wtime() - tb;

then on all but rank 0, you are timing the time that MPI_Bcast is waiting for the read data step to finish.  Instead, consider adding an MPI_Barrier before the MPI_Bcast:

if (rank == 0) { tr = MPI_Wtime(); read data tr = MPI_Wtime()-tr; }
MPI_Barrier();
tb = MPI_Wtime(): MPI_Bcast(…); tb = MPI_Wtime() - tb;

*Only* do this when you are trying to answer such timing questions.

You may also want to consider using MPI-IO to parallelize the read step.

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign