[mpich-discuss] Why do predefined MPI_Ops function elementwise in MPI_Accumulate, but not in MPI-1 routines?

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Tue Apr 24 14:40:11 CDT 2012

I think user-defined ops in MPI_Accumulate are a hard sell.  Fixing
MPI_Reduce to support things that MPI_Accumulate does seems like a
much easier task from an MPI standard perspective.  However, since I
have heard nothing about a timeline for MPI 3.1 and this won't make it
into MPI 3.0, it would be really nice to have
MPIX_Reduce_like_accumulate in MPICH2.

Jeff