[mpich-discuss] polling vs blocking

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Mon Apr 16 09:11:15 CDT 2012

What do you mean by polling?  Are you comparing nonblocking
collectives with polling to blocking collectives?

Polling is a more power-intensive activity than waiting on completion
inside of a blocking operation since the CPU can, in theory, go to
sleep and wake up on an interrupt/signal/whatever from the network.

Jeff