[mpich-discuss] Compiling shared libraries with Fortran 77 compiler and unexpected option

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 8 02:51:20 CDT 2011

After thinking about this for sometime, I'm not sure there's a good
solution to this problem. Here are two options to consider:

1. Do a WRAPPER_LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS" at the start and at every point in
configure that we discover a new LDFLAGS variable, we add it to
WRAPPER_LDFLAGS as well. This will require us to make a pass on all
configure scripts and modify them appropriately (e.g., whenever we do
AC_SEARCH_LIBS, etc.). Personally, I think this is a definite way to
introduce bugs into the code and will be a maintenance nightmare.

2. Get rid of MPICH2LIB_LDFLAGS totally. Do we really need flags that
are used to build MPICH2, but not to build the application? Is there a
use case that I'm missing?

  -- Pavan