[mpich-discuss] How to determine if a program is not started with mpiexec

Darius Buntinas buntinas at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 28 13:25:05 CDT 2011

On Oct 28, 2011, at 1:01 PM, Jonathan Bishop wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to be able to detect when a program is not started with mpiexec. This is to prevent MPI_Comm_spawn from failing.

There's no portable way to determine if it's been started with mpiexec.  You could look for environment variables set by mpiexec.  A portable way would be to set the error handler on a communicator to MPI_ERRORS_RETURN, then try to do a spawn and check the return value.

> Or is there a way to make MPI_Comm_spawn work in the case where a program is simply run by running its exec?

This depends on the MPI implementation, but currently MPICH doesn't support this.

-d