[mpich-discuss] Reading a large file

Tabrez Ali stali at geology.wisc.edu
Sun Oct 16 09:47:15 CDT 2011

MPICH Developers/Users

What is the fastest way for 1000+ ranks/cores to read a single 1+ GB
file with irregular data.

Basically I have an unstructured FE code where all ranks need to read
the mesh data they own from a single input file (based on the mesh
partitioning info).

Right now all ranks simultaneously open the file (using 'open'  in
Fortran), read in the values they own and skip the rest. For a problem
with 16 million nodes (~1.5GB total file size) on 1024 cores of a linux
cluster (with Lustre) this takes upto 2 mins (I/O part) before all ranks
have (owned) node/element info.

Would MPI I/O routines perform better in my situation specially for
larger problems?

Thanks in advance. I am new to MPI I/O.

Tabrez