[mpich-discuss] envall genv not working?

Andrus, Brian Contractor bdandrus at nps.edu
Wed Nov 30 12:53:21 CST 2011

Hello,

I have been trying to get mpiexec to run across nodes and it kept failing with:

/opt/mpich2/1.4.1p1/intel12/bin/hydra_pmi_proxy: error while loading shared libraries: libimf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
HYD_pmcd_pmiserv_send_signal (./pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_cb.c:184): assert (!closed) failed
ui_cmd_cb (./pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_pmci.c:74): unable to send SIGUSR1 downstream
HYDT_dmxu_poll_wait_for_event (./tools/demux/demux_poll.c:77): callback returned error status
HYD_pmci_wait_for_completion (./pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_pmci.c:181): error waiting for event
main (./ui/mpich/mpiexec.c:405): process manager error waiting for completion

Now I did troubleshoot this to be due to the fact that on the machines other than the one I am running mpiexec from do not have a proper LD_LIBRARY_PATH set.
Shouldn't that get passed to the 'children' when I do an mpiexec?
We use modules and have different compilers here, so folks need to load the appropriate module to access the appropriate libraries. In this case, the application was compiled using the intel compiler, so the environment gets set using:

module load compile/intel mpi/mpich2

To get the application to run via mpich2 on multiple nodes, I have had to add that line to the .bashrc
I have tried using the various genv and env options (genvall, envall, envlist, genvlist) to no avail. The only way I was able to successfully run  was to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my .bashrc.

Am I missing something about the environment settings when using mpiexec or mpirun?

Brian Andrus
ITACS/Research Computing
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California