[mpich-discuss] Ask questions with MPI's installation

Nicolas Rosner nrosner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 08:36:03 CST 2011

Sounds like your shell is confused about what exactly you want to
redirect where. This can happen if, for instance, you try to use bash
redirection syntax while running csh/tcsh, or viceversa, or when there
are too many or too few elements on the command line. Here's an
example that triggers a similar message on my system:

$ myfile="one two"
$ echo Hello >$myfile
-bash: $myfile: ambiguous redirect

If this information doesn't help, please copy-paste the full error
message text and include some further details about your system
(platform, OS, shell type if applicable, etc).

Good luck
N.