[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 for ARM

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 18 10:34:30 CST 2011

Hello,

On 11/18/2011 07:10 AM, Harald Schuster wrote:
> So with the MPICH2 version 1.3.2 it works fine when I start the
> applications with -launcher fork. This is a big step forward and my next
> step is do start to controllers and let them communicate together. Until
> now it is possible to ping one controller from the other but i can not
> start Mpi via ssh. I installed openssh with make menuconfig in the
> buildroot butI always get the error “connection refused”. Do I need to
> include ssh in the kernel? I think it is a problem with the
> configuration of ssh but i have to lock. If you have any advice please
> write back. Thanks

This is not really an MPICH2 related question, but I'll answer it
anyway. In the future, you might want to try other mailing lists that
help you with networking setup on your cluster.

1. I believe you need to install both openssh-server and openssh-client.
The openssh-client part gives you the "ssh" executable and the server
part gives you the "sshd" daemon that runs on all the nodes. Once you
install it, it should automatically start up; no extra settings should
be required. For example, on Ubuntu/Debian you can do "sudo apt-get
install openssh-server openssh-client".

2. You should setup password-less ssh. You should be able to google for
"ssh passwordless" and find a zillion links to tutorials on how to do this.

3. Make sure your firewall is disabled. On Ubuntu/Debian, you can
disable it with "sudo ufw disable". On other platforms, google is your
friend.

Once your ssh is setup fine, MPICH2 should automatically be able to use
it to launch processes remotely.

  -- Pavan