[mpich-discuss] disable-auto-cleanup send/receive example

Darius Buntinas buntinas at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 2 14:46:51 CDT 2011

When a process fails, all pending send and receive operations with the failed process will complete with an error.  In addition, all wildcard (i.e., MPI_ANY_SOURCE) receives will also complete with an error.  The idea being that the failed process may be the intended sender for the message expected by the wildcard receive, so to avoid a hung process it's safest to kill those receives as well.

However, there's a race condition between when a receive is posted and when the failure is detected and processed, so some of the receives posted after the failure also complete with an error.  We're working with the MPI Forum to standardize the exact behavior in such cases to eliminate the race, but it's still in the works.

I'll look into this and see if there's a quick fix I can apply to address this.

In your program, if I added a
    sleep(1);
    MPI_Iprobe(0, 0, MPI_COMM_WORLD, &flag, MPI_STATUS_IGNORE);
in the error case of the receive, it did run as you expected.  There's still a race, it's just less likely to hit in your example.

-d