[mpich-discuss] Running problem with MPICH2

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri May 27 10:55:47 CDT 2011

Hi Basak

The cpi.c program in the examples directory in the MPICH2
source code tree is a simple test of MPICH2 functionality.
You can try compiling it with mpicc and running it with mpiexec
(or mpiexec.hydra).

It also tells you what is the typical/basic structure of an
MPI program, starting with MPI_Init, ending with MPI_Finalize,
and doing explicit communication among the participating processes
in between, via a variety of MPI function calls.
My recollection is that cpi.c only uses MPI_Reduce, but there are many
others MPI functions, of which you can find examples in
the references below.

For more information about how to write MPI programs, try the
LLNL tutorials:

https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/mpi/

or Peter Pacheco's book:
http://www.cs.usfca.edu/~peter/ppmpi/

or W. Gropp et al. books (Rajeev is a co-author in the 2nd book):

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/usingmpi/
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/usingmpi2/

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa