[mpich-discuss] load balacing procedure in mpd process manager in a multicore

Monica Sakuray Pais monicaspais at gmail.com
Tue May 17 16:34:56 CDT 2011

Hi,

I am running a test in a single multicore machine (with intel core2quad
processor), running Ubuntu 10.4 e mich2 1.2.1p1.

I have two programs: one sequential and the other is a mpi implementation
with 2 processes. One process does nothing and the other has the same code
as the sequential program. Both programs produce the same results, but the
execution runtime of the sequential one (using one core) is bigger than the
execution runtime of the mpi program (using 2 cores) executed through
mpiexec.

How can I explain this? Does the mpd process manager execute a load
balancing procedure that is not the same as the linux kernel?

Monica