[mpich-discuss] Strange Problem on Windows 7 and Windows XP

Xiao Li shinelee.thewise at gmail.com
Fri May 6 20:54:20 CDT 2011

Hi MPICH2 people,

I have a small cluster composed by two Windows XP (x86) machines and two
Windows 7 (x64) machines. I have installed MPICH2 1.3.1 (x86) on each
machine.

Problem is that, for one of the Win7 machine (let us say Win7_1), it can not
be discovered by wmpiconfig.exe on all the other machines. The strange thing
is that wmpiconfig.exe on Win7_1 can discovery others. In such case, I
usually assume MPICH2 can not work on my cluster. Howver, I find a strange
thing that if I type command "mpiexec -hosts 2 Win7_1 2 WinXP 2 cpi.exe", it
works OK. But if I type command "mpiexec -hosts 2 WinXP 2 Win7_1 2 cpi.exe",
or "mpiexec -hosts 2 Win7_2 Win7_1 2 cpi.exe", it just halts for ever.

I am sure that I have closed all firewall and set the user account control
to zero on all machines. And I do not think it is caused by hybrid cluster
as I do install x86 version of MPICH2. It seems that there are something
unusual on Win7_1. But I can not figure it out. Do you guys get some idea on
what's going on?

cheers
Xiao