[mpich-discuss] HYDRA and kill process

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 25 09:27:54 CDT 2011

On 03/25/2011 03:37 AM, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen wrote:
> I started a job consisting of 8 processes, 4 on hostA and 4 on hostB using
> "mpiexec -n 8 progfile". Hitting CTRL-c on hostA kills its four processes, but
> the remaining four still run on hostB, so I am forced to log in there and kill
> them myself.

This case has almost always worked correctly for us. We haven't seen any
bug reports for this. We need more information to figure out what's
going on.

1. Did you set a separate host file environment? Are you using any
resource manager (like SLURM, PBS, ...) in your environment? The reason
I'm asking is "mpiexec -n 8 progfile" itself will not know anything
about hostB, unless you have it this information through some other means.

2. Are you seeing any errors while running the job before you try to
kill it?

3. Did you try running one of the MPICH2 example programs (./examples/cpi)?

  -- Pavan