[mpich-discuss] MPI_Comm_spawn(), dynamic distribution and hydra

Roberto Fichera kernel at tekno-soft.it
Mon Mar 7 10:06:10 CST 2011

On 03/03/2011 05:11 PM, Pavan Balaji wrote:

> On 03/03/2011 08:54 AM, Roberto Fichera wrote:
>> This is really nice!!! It might solve my problem once I'll implement
>> dynamic resource allocation. How can I provide my own node's list to
>> hydra?
>
> It's an info argument to comm_spawn. You can either use "host" for a single host or "hostfile" for a host list. Note
> that the MPI standard only specifies "host" option. The "hostfile" option is specific to Hydra.

I just run my test program that was working fine "surrounded" by usual mpdboot & mpdallexit and not started
using mpiexec at all because it's a fully dynamic application that spawn itself all the slaves. Than I got the
last lines below without getting working any slave at all.

It's Hydra supposed to work without starting mpdboot before to run any MPI application or I missed
something?

[mpiexec at cluster3.tekno-soft.it] match_arg (./utils/args/args.c:122): unrecognized argument pmi_args
[mpiexec at cluster3.tekno-soft.it] HYDU_parse_array (./utils/args/args.c:140): argument matching returned error
[mpiexec at cluster3.tekno-soft.it] HYD_uii_mpx_get_parameters (./ui/mpich/utils.c:1112): error parsing input array

Usage: ./mpiexec [global opts] [exec1 local opts] : [exec2 local opts] : ...

Global options (passed to all executables):

  Global environment options:
    -genv {name} {value}             environment variable name and value
    -genvlist {env1,env2,...}        environment variable list to pass
    -genvnone                        do not pass any environment variables
    -genvall                         pass all environment variables (default)

  Other global options:
    -f {name}                        file containing the host names
    -hosts {host list}               comma separated host list
    -wdir {dirname}                  working directory to use
    -configfile {name}               config file containing MPMD launch options

[... rest of mpiexec help ...]