[mpich-discuss] MPI_Comm_spawn(), dynamic distribution and hydra

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 3 08:38:08 CST 2011

Roberto,

On 03/03/2011 02:47 AM, Roberto Fichera wrote:
>> Hydra doesn't currently have the capability to request for more
>> resources from a resource manager. It can only query for the
>> allocated resources.
>
> So it means that at this time I have to use directly the resource
> manager API, right?
>
> What about to perform the MPI boot process on freshly allocated
> nodes? Do you have any suggestion how to make it?

The host list Hydra manages is static currently. It queries this from
the resource manager at launch time. However, if you specify the host
name to launch on using the info argument to comm_spawn, it will bypass
the node list Hydra detected and use these nodes.

Note that Hydra does not have a boot-up process. It's automatically done
internally for you.

  -- Pavan