[mpich-discuss] about installation

Jain, Rohit Rohit_Jain at mentor.com
Tue Jun 28 12:56:26 CDT 2011

Based on description, I figured I don't need --enabled-shared option. So, I removed it.
	configure: error: --enable-sharedlibs cannot be used without --enable-shared

I noticed I have another option specified in earlier configuration: --enable-sharedlibs=gcc

Looking at README, it seems these shared options are also used to create shared mpich library, other than mentioned usage here for valgrind & debugging.

Anyone has more details on it?

-Rohit

> --enable-shared: If I just want to run machine installed valgrind on my application, and trying to find issues back in MPICH code, do I need to use this option?

If you want to use the valgrind MPI wrappers, you will need to pass "--enable-shared".  However, you will probably also need to rebuild your valgrind copy after building MPICH2 then.  The valgrind MPI wrappers are only for debugging problems *above* MPICH2, so if you want to debug within MPICH2 then you do not need to enable shared libraries.

If you want to debug MPICH2 itself with valgrind then I recommend "--enable-g=meminit,dbg" at a minimum, and you may also want to add "mem" to that list: http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Support_for_Debugging_Memory_Allocation