[mpich-discuss] Parallel I/O on Lustre: MPI Vs. POSIX

George Zagaris george.zagaris at kitware.com
Tue Jun 21 11:02:55 CDT 2011

Dear Rajeev,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I followed your suggestion and implemented benchmarks (also attached) with POSIX
open/read/write calls writing to both separate files and a shared file.

A summary of the results is also given in the attached chart_2.png.
These measurements
were obtained with 32 MPI processes (4 nodes x 8 cores/node) where the
stripe count (number of OSTs)
is 32 and the stripe size is 32MB. Moreover, each process writes 32MB,
hence the data is
stripe aligned and since the number of OSTs is the same as the number
of I/O  processes I would not
expect to see any performance degradation due to file-system contention.

The results appear to favor unbuffered I/O to separate files as the
best strategy. I am wondering if this
premise will hold as the data size grows larger. What would be the
reasons for not choosing this
strategy for large scale I/O? Any thoughts?

I sincerely thank you for all your time and help.

Best Regards,
George